An Update from Argentina!

It’s been an adventurous week as my friend Jeannine and I have worked our way south en route to Antarctica. Here’s an update from our latest (and unexpected) travel extravaganza. 


We’re ready for our second attempt at getting to Ushuaia. 

It’s been a crazy day to say the least. We checked into our hotel this morning at 7 am, slept until noon, hung out around the hotel until 2 am and are now (3:15 am) waiting with other hopeful passengers to see if we can check into our 7:25 am flight.

(We’ve been posting more frequently to our Facebook page, so check there for full details:

Do to a nationwide strike, the airport was shut down for 24 hours starting yesterday at midnight. We were planning on heading to the airport at 4:30 Tuesday morning to catch our 7:30 am flight to Ushuaia (where we get on the boat) but found out through our Airbnb hosts that protesters were shutting down the road so if we didn’t get on the road by midnight, we would make it to the airport the following morning. This was at 10:30 pm and by 11:30 pm we were all packed and in a cab headed to the airport. At 2 am, we discovered our flight was cancelled because all flights were canceled. 

Fortunately, we were able to secure two seats on the Wednesday morning flight and found a hotel room nearby that offered free transportation to and from the airport. In short, the past 24 hours have been unlike any airport experience we’ve had: 

  • Arrived at the airport at midnight only to wait near the checkin desks until 5 am 
  • Scheduled taxi pick up at 6 am and checked into a hotel room at 7 am. 
  • Slept until 1:30 pm. 
  • Explored the very interested shopping complex where the hotel was located for a couple hours. 
  • Cat napped at 10 pm. 
  • Checked out of the hotel at 2 am. 
  • Arrived at the airport at 2:30 am with hopes of leaving on a jetplane at 7:30. 

Our days and nights have been all sorts of crazy the past five days. It’s been incredibly fun though. The kind of fun with a layer of anxiety that won’t go away until we’re on a plane getting ready to take off. 

With travel, especially international travel, it’s best to expect the unexpected and roll with the punches, which is what we’ve done and so far things are working out for us, all things considered. 

We appreciate all the thoughtful words of encouragement. We’re crossing our fingers we’re on the plane and in the sky within the next five hours so the adventure south can continue! 

We’ll keep you posted.